Monday 11 May 2009

Semi Final 1 - my prediction

Here are the entries taking part in the first semi final in running order with their bookies odds (to win the semi final) and my prediction.

1. Montenegro: Andrea Demirovic - Just Get Out Of My Life - 14/1 - My ranking 12th

Nice to listen to but somehow doesn't work in Eurovision for me. The dancing is slightly cringeworthy and the vocals aren't too strong.

1st Rehearsal video
Music video

2. Czech Republic: Gipsy.cz - Aven Romale - 150/1 - My ranking 17th

Horrible song but quite fun to watch on stage. It's only hope is a few eastern bloc votes.

1st Rehearsal video
Music video

3. Belarus: Petr Elfimov - Eyes That Never Lie - 125/1 - My ranking 10th (QUALIFIER)

A very typical Belarusian entry. This has grown on me and depsite looking like a man battling to put the cover on a duvet the man in a sheet blowing in the wind looks good when the flames are projected on it. I think it's just enough for this to qualify.

1st Rehearsal video
Music video

4. Belgium: Copycat - Copycat - 50/1 - My ranking 16th

Ooh this man looks greasy and awful. I don't like this at all.

1st Rehearsal video
Music video

5. Sweden: Malena Ernman - La Voix - 6/1 - My ranking 6th (QUALIFIER)

Her bizarre facial expressions may scare off a few viewers and the verses leave a lot to be desired but overall this is an good and very interesting song.

1st Rehearsal video
Music video

6. Armenia: Inga & Anush - Jan Jan - 10/1 - My ranking 1st (QUALIFIER) WINNER 1st SEMI FINAL

This song has grown on me immensely. I really think this might be the semi final 1 winner and strong contender for a top 5 place in the final.

1st Rehearsal video
Music video

7. Andorra: Susanne Georgi - Get A Life - 125/1 - My ranking 18th LAST PLACE

She looks like she's never picked up a guitar before, her smiling looks very fake and it's just generally awful. They should stop moaning about Spain not voting in semi final 1, they never stood a chance of qualifying anyway.

1st Rehearsal video
Music video

8. Switzerland: Lovebugs - The Highest Heights - 33/1 - My ranking 15th

A lot of fans really like this and I admit there are moments it sounds a bit like Coldplay but overall it's very boring. Switzerland haven't qualified for years, I don't expect this to do any better.

1st Rehearsal video
Music video

9. Turkey: Hadise - Düm Tek Tek - 15/8 - My ranking 3rd (QUALIFIER)

I've found her rehearsals a bit disappointing vocally but it's still catchy enough to qualify and qualify well.

1st Rehearsal video
Music video

10. Israel - Noa & Mira Awad - There Must Be Another Way - 40/1 - My ranking 8th (QUALIFIER)

I absolutely hated this song at first. The harmonies grate at some points in the song but it seems to work very well on stage and I've heard a lot of positive comments.

1st Rehearsal video
Music video

11. Bulgaria - Krassimir Avramov - Illusion - 80/1 - My ranking 13th

Seems quite impressive in the video but performed live this looks like some kind of parody. Unfortunately this is not a joke and I don't think many people will vote for it.

1st Rehearsal video
Music video

12. Iceland - Yohanna - Is It True - 14/1 - My ranking 5th (QUALIFIER)

A lovely sweet song. The vocals are probably the strongest in this semi final.

1st Rehearsal video
Music video

13. FYR Macedonia - Next Time - Neshto Shto Ke Ostan - 100/1 - My ranking 14th

Oh I'd forgotten about this song. Probably best not to try and remember it.

1st Rehearsal video
Music video

14. Romania - Elena - The Balkan Girls - 40/1 - My ranking 9th

I wouldn't normally expect a song like this to qualify but Elena brings so much energy to the stage and her vocals are very strong. I think it will qualify (just).

1st rehearsal video
Music video

15. Finland: Waldo's People - Lose Control - 12/1 - My ranking 11th

Good music video but unfortunately doesn't translate into a good performance. Makes me think too much of Bulgaria's entry last year which failed to qualify. May be saved by high scores from Sweden and Iceland but I still don't see it qualifying.

1st rehearsal video
Music video

16. Portugal: Flor-de-lis - Todas As Ruas Do Amor - 40/1 - My ranking 7th (QUALIFIER)

This kind of song is not normally my thing but it's very pleasant. The backdrop is horrendous but I don't think that will stop people voting for this song in their droves.

1st rehearsal video
National final video

17. Malta: Chiara - What If We - 6/1 - My ranking 4th (QUALIFIER)

She sounds like a vocoder at some points. Maybe her vocals are just a little too perfect. Chiara has had two strong placings in the past finals but this is probably her weakest entry yet. I think she'll qualify strongly based on her place in the running order.

1st rehearsal video
Music video

18. Bosnia & Herzegovina: Regina - Bistro Voda - 7/4 FAVOURITE - My ranking 2nd (QUALIFIER)

This is a little gem. Not particularly favoured with the bookies before the dress rehearsals it is now the favourite to win the first semi final. I was close to putting this as my first place tip but I'm going to settle for 2nd place.

1st rehearsal video
Music video
Dress rehearsal video

RECAP


No comments: